Thursday, January 27, 2022

Stuart Marson - Night Falls On The Orchestra




Nigh Falls On The Orchestra was the first release from U.K. folk guitarist and singer Stuart Marson.  Not much is documented online of him,  I do know that he worked as a schoolteacher for some time, but has retired.  He once maintained the website stuartmarson.com, but the link is down and without archive.  There is also a CD listed on his discogs page, added recently which leads me to assume that between 1974 and 2013 he would have recorded and self-released more material that has yet to surface online.  Here's to hoping it one day does.  There are a few recordings he's posted on his youtube channel to watch as well, very nice stuff.

The music on the LP is very melancholic folk; lyrics of the city and its restlessness, gardens, quays and Marilyn (Monroe?).  Beautiful guitarwork from himself as well as Derek Smith who accompanies him on each song.  I cannot speak highly enough of the quality of these songs, the guitars work together wonderfully and Marson's poetry is both beautiful and devastating.

Download the LP here.
(included are pictures taken of the front, back, and labels with a camera, unfortunately my scanner is not big enough for LPs, also included is a .txt containing all of the writing on the back cover: lyrics recording info, etc.)


4 comments:

  1. I bought the Stuart Marson CD you mention above from Stuart and very good it is too.
    The tracks "Close to the wind" and "Lancashire Hills" were recorded by Simon Nicol/Fairport Convention and are widely available on YouTube. I've just downloaded "Night Falls On The Orchestra" and I thank you for making it available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! Is there any chance you could make a digital copy of the CD for me to hear? I would be most appreciative if you could email me the files: nosferatuman14@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Hi I'm sorry for this very late reply, but I had a stroke shortly after this and I'm still recovering. On top of that we had to move out of the house while emergency repairs were carried out. For the time being, we're still living out of boxes, but as soon as I find the CD I'll send it via WE TRANSFER if that's acceptable.

      Delete
    3. Apologies again. I've just noticed you already have the CD now!

      Delete